Windows 10 is the highly advanced and improved system but apart from its advancement, likes others Windows OS this is not free from errors and various issues.
Times to time users are found reporting about various errors and issues in their Windows 10 operating system. And now the most irritating issue is the “Your PC did not start correctly” is being reported by many Windows 10 users.
Users are found reporting that their Windows 10 PC does not start after booting.
It might happen due to sudden power failure or after upgrading the PC to a newer version, and turning on your machine instead of booting to desktop normally it starts displaying an Automatic Repair screen with the error message “Your PC did not start correctly” in Windows 10.
Upon initial restart after upgrading to Windows 10, I get a blue screen that states “automatic repair: your PC did not start correctly”. I then have the choice to “restart” which is circular or “advanced settings” none of which correct the problem. And I cannot get past this blue screen to windows environment. I don’t have software disc as windows 7 (?) can preloaded on my Dell.
I don’t have any restore points, can’t reset, and can only restart which take me back to the blue screen.
Any ideas before I lose my mind?!
Original Post from Microsoft Community…
Well, this is a very irritating issue and needed to be fixed so the very first thing that you need to do is restart your PC/laptop. In many cases, this helps the users to fix the problem.
But if not then here know some of the factors that are responsible for maintaining the issue even after multiple reboots:
- The corrupted or missing Boot Configuration Data (BCD) file
- Due to the corruption of Master Boot Record (MBR)
- Or the corruption or missing of both BCD and MBR
- Hardware changes like re-installation of the hard drive.
These are some of the cases that cause the issue, so here follow the possible workarounds to fix Windows 10 Your PC did not start correctly error message.
How to Fix Your PC Did Not Start Correctly In Windows 10
Method 1: Try to start your PC in Safe Mode
Safe Mode is a very helpful and troubleshooting option for Windows. This helps you to start your computer in a limited state. In this case, only the basic files and necessary drivers are started to run on Windows.
Here Follow the steps to start your Windows 10 PC in safe mode with networking
- Press Windows + I key > to open Settings. Or else select the Start button in the lower-left corner > choose Settings.
- Now choose Update & security > Recovery.
- And then under Advanced startup > choose Restart now.
- As the PC restarts choose an option screen > select Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Settings > Restart.
- Next, as the PC restarts, you can see the list of options > select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode. However, if you need to use the internet then choose 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.
Now if, the PC/laptop start normally in Safe Mode, then try Startup Repair, hope this will help you to fix Windows 10 Your PC did not start correctly error message
Method 2: Perform a Startup Repair
It is found that startup repair helps many users to fix the issue in Windows 10.
So to run the startup repair from Advance boot option, follow the steps given below:
- First, press Shift key > click on Restart under power
- Then, click on Troubleshoot.
- And click on Advanced Options.
- Now click on Startup Repair.
Hope the troubleshooter is able to solve the startup issues, but if not then follow the third solution.
Method 3: Run SFC / DISM
Well, it might happen due to corrupted Windows system files you are getting the error message in your Windows 10 operating system. So here it is recommended to run the System File Checker and later the DISM command to repair the Windows files.
Follow the steps to do so:
- First, click on Command Prompt to open a CMD Window.
- Now type sfc/scannow > hit Enter
- You can see the scanning process starts on the system.
Wait for the scanning process to complete as this scans the system for possible errors in the system and tries to repair them.
As the whole scanning process is finished and reboot your PC. And check whether the error is fixed or not.
Well if this solves Your PC did not start correctly” error message then it is GOOD ENOUGH but if not then try to run the DISM tool.
Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) command is best to fix various Windows 10 PC issues.
To make use of it follow the steps given- below:
- First, click on Command Prompt to open a CMD Window
- Then type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Now hit Enter to run the DISM tool.
This will help you to repair the windows image.
Hope doing this troubleshoots Windows 10 PC did not start correctly error message.
But if not then follow another solution.
Method 4: Rebuild Boot Configuration Data (BCD)
As I said above users might get the error due to corrupted or missing BCD file. So here it is worth to rebuild the BCD file
Follow the steps to check & rebuild the Windows BCD:
- Put the original Windows DVD/USB > and boot from it
- Now click Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt
- Then type bootrec /fixmbr > hit Enter
- Next bootrec /fixboot > hit Enter
- And after that type bootrec /rebuildbcd > hit Enter
- Lastly, type Exit
- And reboot your system
Doing this will help you to rebuild the BCD now check whether the Windows 10 error is solved or not.
Helpful Article: How to Access Command Prompt to Fix Issues with Boot Records
But if the error still persists then it might happen the Master Boot Record (MBR) is corrupted or missing.
So here try to repair it.
Method 5: Repair Master Boot Record (MBR)
Well, before following the process to repair the MBR, it is worth to create a System Recovery Disk, as if something happens you don’t have to run for the Windows Recovery Disk.
Follow the steps to create system recovery drive in Windows 10:
- Press Win + R > type in RecoveryDrive.exe
- And click Next
- As you insert the USB drive this starts creating the Recovery for your USB drive.
Well, in this way you can create a System Recovery Drive now follow the process to repair MBR in Windows 10.
Repairing the MBR process is almost same for all Windows 10/8/7 operating system.
- Very first you need a Windows installation DVD
- And hit F8 while booting the machine to go into the Windows Recovery Menu.
- Click Troubleshoot > Advanced options to get into Automatic Repair menu.
- Here you need to use the Bootrec.exe tool.
- And click on command prompt and type the command prompt, one after the other and hit Enter key after each.
- bootrec /RebuildBcd
- And, bootrec /fixMbr
- bootrec /fixboot
- Next Exit and restart your system
This is the time to click on System Restore and restore your computer back to a prior good point.
Well, you can make use of this last option if you have your data backed up, then Reset Your PC
Method 6: Reset Your PC
- From the Diagnostics Menu > Click Troubleshoot
- And, click on Reset this PC
- Doing this will help you delete entire data & personal setting, apps from your PC
- Assure you have backed up everything
- And click on Reset
- Let Windows Reset your PC
- The PC works fine.
Well, these are the ways that help you to resolve Windows 10 PC not start correctly error message.
However, you can scan your Windows PC/laptop with the Windows Repair Tool to fix various Windows issues.
Check your Windows PC/Laptop Health
Make use of the professional recommended Windows Repair tool, this is the best tool to scan, detect and repair various Windows related issues such as corruption, damages of the Windows system files, malware/viruses, protect you from file loss, hardware issues and many more. Apart from that, it helps you to optimize your Windows PC performances and quickly fix various issues like BSOD, DLL error, Registry issues, drivers issues, games relates issues, application error and many others and prevents others issues automatically with this software.
Now It’s Your Turn:
Well, I have done my job, so now it’s your turn to make use of the solution given.
I tried my best to put together the working solution to fix Your PC did not Start Correctly on Windows 10.
Make use of them one by one and check which one helps you out.
Apart from that, scan your system for the virus/malware at the regular interval of time and update the Windows 10 OS with the latest update and drivers to make the system error free & healthy.
Additionally, if you find the article helpful or have any query, comment, questions or suggestions related, then please feel free to share it with us in the comment section below or you can also go to our Fix Windows Errors Ask Question Page.