Are you the one struggling with the “Windows Failed to start error on Startup”, then here check out what goes wrong with your Windows operating system and how to fix the error.
Getting the Windows errors is a common problem but sometimes this can be a big headache. Facing Windows won’t boot into its Operating system is the biggest nightmare that comes in the life.
Well, there are various errors appear when the Windows system won’t boot or failed to start. One of the recent error messages is:
“Windows has failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.”
The most common reason responsible for getting the Windows failed to startup properly error is recently installed Windows update. However when the error message appears it provides the users with a couple of options like run startup repair, or start Windows normally to fix the error.
But after running the startup repair or starting the Windows normally return the same error message.
Apart from the Windows update, there are many other reasons responsible for getting the “Windows failed to start” error message:
- The incompatible or faulty hardware
- Software confliction
- Outdated driver issues
- Recently installed drivers or update
- Boot files corruption
- HDD/SSD issue
These are some of the reasons responsible for getting the “Windows failed to start” error message.
Here check out the solutions that you try to resolve the issues and boot into the operating system. But before moving further check out some of the common error message related to the Windows failed to start error message.
Some other error messages related to Windows failed to start issue.
- Windows Failed To Start Startup Repair Not Working: When the Windows failed to start many users reported that the Startup repair option also stops working.
- Windows 7 Failed To Start File Boot BCD: This is another version faced by the Windows 7 users.
- Windows 10 Failed To Start Error 0xc000000f: The Windows 10 users are also not free from the Windows won’t boot error.
- Windows Failed To Start Boot Device Is Inaccessible: Inaccessible boot device is another common error message appears when the Windows failed to start.
How to Fix Windows Failed To Start on Startup Error Message:
Try the below-given solutions one by one to get rid of the Windows won’t boot up an error message.
Solution 1: Remove External Devices
Very first you need to the remove the external devices and then try booting. Well, the Windows failed to start error message on startup is most likely related to the hardware.
The External devices like printers, camera, scanners etc. are some of them. In some cases, the bad or outdated drivers also cause the error when Windows begins to load, determine which device is causing the issue.
Also if have installed any latest Windows update then simply uninstall it and check if this helps you.
- To do so turn off the computer and unplug it > press power button for twenty seconds. And plug it back after that try booting again.
Solution 2: Assure your Computers Detects HDD and Boot From It:
It is important that your windows operating system boot from HDD to avoid the failed startup issue.
So here follow the steps to do so:
- Restart your system > get into the BIOS settings (you can find the key on system user manual or on the first screen appears when it boots up)
- Then in the BIOS settings > locate Boot priority order or Boot order > highlight the Boot priority order > hit Enter
- Then from the list of devices make sure the HDD is on the top of the list.
- But if you don’t find that HDD then open your machine > remove and reseat the SATA or IDE cable connecting the HDD to the motherboard (if possible replace it altogether)
- Next Boot up your computer > access BIOS settings > check HDD is detected or not
- If the HDD is on the list but not on the top > configure the list to let the HDD on the top.
- After doing this Save changes > exit BIOS > restart your system.
Hope doing this will help you resolve the Windows failed to start on Startup error message but if not then try the next solution.
You May Also Read:
- Fix Boot Error 0xC000000E: The selected entry could not be loaded
- FIX: Boot Problem Caused by Corrupted BCD File under Windows 8
- Best Ways to Fix Endless Reboot Loop after Windows 10 Update
- 6 Ways to Fix “Your PC Did Not Start Correctly” Windows 10
Solution 3: Perform a Startup Repair
Try performing a Startup repair, this helps you fix Windows failed to start error.
Follow the steps to do so:
- Insert a Windows installation disc or Windows system repair disc in the system.
- Restart system > boot from the disc.
- Choose language and other preferences > click Next.
- Now a screen displays having Install Now button at its centre
- Click on Repair your computer in the bottom left corner.
- And as the whole process is completed > restart your system.
Note: if you are using the system repair disc, then you will be taken to next step. Choose operating system you want to repair > click Startup Repair and follow the onscreen instruction > restart your system.
Lastly, check if doing this will help you to resolve Windows failed to start issue.
Solution 4: Perform a System Restore
Well, if none of the above-given solutions helps you to fix the issue then try performing a system restore. Doing this will help you to restore your computer to a point time before it was installed.
Follow the steps to perform a system restore:
- Insert a Windows installation disc or Windows system repair disc > reboot your system and boot from the disc.
- Go to the BIOS settings > set the DVD/CD drive system first boot device.
- Now Save the changes > exit BIOS settings > press any key to boot from the disc when the computer startup.
- Choose operating system needed to Repair > select Repair Your Computer
- Click on System Restore > select the Restore Point (created days before the error appears)
- Follow the onscreen instruction to begin the System Restore
- After finishing the system restore process > restart your computer
Now check if the issue is resolved or not.
Solution 5: Reinstall Windows
This is the last solution, if none of the above-given fixes helps you to fix the error, then try reinstalling the Windows operating system together.
Please Note: Reinstalling the Windows system will erase the entire data, programs, so before a backup of the important files and folders.
Check Your Windows PC/Laptop Health
You can make use of the professional recommended solution Windows Repair tool, to fix various Windows update errors and other issues related to it. This is the advanced tool that scan, detect and repair various Windows operating system issues such as corruption, damages of the Windows system files, malware/viruses, protect you from file loss, hardware issues and many more. You can also fix various issues like BSOD error, DLL error, Registry issues, drivers issues, games related issues, application error and many others. This not only fixes the errors but also optimize your Windows PC performance and fix other issues without any hassle.
Windows failed to start on startup is the most irritating error message faced by the Windows users.
There are many unpleasant reasons behind getting the error message.
I tried my best to put together the entire working solutions that helped many users to get rid of the error.
Apart from that always delete the temporary files, scan your system with good antivirus software and remove unwanted software time to time to maintain the Windows PC performance and other boot up issues.
Additionally, if you find the article helpful or have any query, comment, questions or suggestions related, then please feel free to share it with us in the comment section below or you can also go to our Fix Windows Errors Ask Question Page.