Is your Windows PC constantly freezes while working? Or face the blue screen of death error almost every day. You don’t know what goes wrong with your Windows system? Then this article is for you, here check out the complete information what causes your Windows system to freeze and how to fix the irritating issue.
Windows PC freezing is the common issue and many users are found struggling with it in daily life. Well, there are many reasons that cause the Windows PC/laptop to freeze constantly.
This is a very irritating issue and here learn the ways what makes the computer more sluggish or unresponsive and how to regain Windows PC performance.
Why Does My Computer Keeps Freezing?
Well, there are many reasons that cause the Windows to freeze up constantly issue and identifying the actual cause help you to resolve the issue instantly. So check out the most common reasons of the Windows 10, 8 or 7 keeps freezing issue.
- Due to outdated or corrupted system driver corruption
- Too many programs are running in the background
- Due to insufficient RAM
- PC BIOS might be incompatible or it needed to be updated.
- The faulty external devices like mouse, USB, keyboard, and others can cause the issue
- The malicious computer viruses can also cause the system to freeze
- Corrupted or missing system files
- Missing device drivers or a system service.
- Sometimes the third-party software also causes the errors.
So, these are some of the common reasons responsible for the computer keeps freezing issue. Now below find out how do you stop your computer from freezing?
How to Fix Computer Freezing Issues:
Method 1: Update or Install Latest Drivers
It might happen that the issue is related to drivers so to get rid of this update the installed drivers or else install latest driver’s compatible with your hard drives.
You can scan from driver conflicts. To run this scan follows the given steps:
- Click on Start
- Choose Run “command” > type “compmgmt.msc”, this will run a scan of your drivers.
- Click on Start > Control Panel > System
- Then in the System menu > click the hardware tab.
- After that click Device Manager to bring up the full list of installed hardware drivers, stare for exclamation marks that indicate trouble.
- The right-click and select Properties to evaluate the status and troubleshoot the hardware device.
Now try downloading the latest drivers from the Microsoft official website or from the manufacturer website.
Apart from that, you can also make use of the Free Driver Booster, to update the drivers automatically with ease.
Method 2: Fix Bad Hard Drive Sectors
You can face the freezing issues due to the bad sector, this is related to hard disk damage and it causes a major software problem. So follow the steps to skip over or clean up the bad hard drive sectors.
- First, click on Start and open the Computer folder.
- Locate and select the hard drive > right click on the hard drive icon.
- After that choose Properties from the drop-down list.
- Then in the Local Disk Properties dialog box > click on the Tools
- Click Check Now and for maximum cleanup click “Automatically fix” and “Scan for”
- If you see new dialog window, click Schedule disk check to start.
In this way, the bad hard drive sector is fixed and also the computer freezing issue as well.
Further Reading: 21 Must to Use Tips For Lightening Fast PC Performance
Method 3: Run System File Checker
As it is already stated the corrupted system files causes the Windows system to freeze or crash. So here it is recommended to run the SFC scan to repair the corrupted system files.
Follow the steps to do so:
- First, open Command Prompt (Admin).
- Then in the command line > type sfc/scannow.
- This tool starts scanning and starts repairing the entire corrupted files.
Method 4: End Resource Hungry Processes
Through the Windows Task Manager, you can break and shutdown programs that cause Windows PC to freeze.
- First press CTRL+ALT+DELETE
- And click the Processes
- Evaluate programs in the task manager.
- And click the process and double-click End Process.
- Delete Computer History
Method 5: Control TSR Programs
System lockups in Windows are the result of program conflicts. And this is faced when too many programs are loaded and stay in RAM memory and these RAM eating programs are called Terminate and Stay Resident programs. These load up automatically when Windows loads. This may cause the computer to freeze, so follow steps to stop them.
- First click Start > Programs > Startup
- After that right Click and Delete the unwanted Startup program file.
- Type msconfig in the RUN command line.
- And click on the Startup tab
- Deselect the unwanted programs and click OK
- After that reboot, your PC so that changes will take effect.
Method 6: Free up Disk Space on C Drive
In many cases when the C drive runs out of space then the Windows system starts freezing. So here it is recommended to check you are having enough free disk space on C drive.
Try deleting the unwanted data or programs on the C drive. Apart from that, you can also try to add more free space to C drive.
Doing this will fix the Windows computer freezing issue remarkably.
Method 7: Scan your System For Viruses Program
It might happen your Windows PC/laptop is infected with the virus or malware program. And this is what causes the computer to constantly freeze crash or perform sluggishly. So here it is recommended to scan your system with the good antivirus tool.
Helpful Article: 17 Signs That Will Tell Your Computer is Malware Infected in 2018
Method 8: Run Memory Check
In many cases the memory issue causes the Windows system to freeze, so check if the computer is having a memory issue. Try running the Windows Memory Diagnostics utility, this helps you to diagnose the memory issue in Windows system.
Follow the steps to do so:
- Press Windows + R keys > type mdsched.exe in the run box > hit Enter.
- After that click Restart now and check for problems (recommended) to identify the problems immediately. Note: if you want to check later, click Check for problems the next time I start my computer.
- Now the Windows will restart and you will get the window showing the progress of the check and passes number it runs on memory. This may take some time to finish the whole process.
Now after completing the whole process restart your computer and check the computer freezing issue is resolved or not.
Method 9: Upgrade the Hardware
In some cases, the problem is not only related to the software or other programs. The hardware can also cause issues, if your computer is more than 5 years old then this is the time to upgrade or change the hardware altogether.
Well, the system hardware’s are not designed to last more than 4-5 years and commonly when the technology advances fast.
Method 10: Avoid Being Multitasker
Commonly the Windows system freezes when we use it maximum or at the time when you had opened 20 tabs in your browser and as well running more than 10 applications at the same time.
Well, this is what makes the system to freeze up or slow down. So try to close the tabs and the application that is not needed.
You can be more productive when you are working in only two or three programs, in this case, the chances of Windows freezing or slow down is greatly reduces.
Method 11: Reinstall the Operating System.
Well, this is quite an extreme measure but this is one that brings the old fast computer back.
So if you are technically expert than try reinstalling the Windows operating system. This makes the slow, freezing computer fast and error-free.
But first backup your important data and files before starting the reinstalling process in the Windows OS.
Scan Your Windows PC/laptop With the Automatic Solution
You can also scan your Windows system with PC Repair tool, to fix various Windows issues and errors. This is the advanced tool that scan, detect and repair various Windows operating system issues such as corruption, damages of the Windows system files, malware/viruses, protect you from file loss, hardware issues and many more. Apart from fixing the errors this also optimizes the Windows PC performance and speed up the Windows PC without any hassle. It is easy to use even a novice user can use it easily.
Windows PC freezing or performing sluggishly is the common issue faced by the Windows users time to time.
Well, this is very irritating and there are numbers of cause responsible for the issue.
In this article, I tried my best to put together the entire common causes responsible behind the freezing issue.
Also, check the possible fixes that you can try to get rid of the freezing issue of the Windows PC/laptop.
Apart from that, you can also try the automatic PC Repair Tool, to fix various PC errors and issues automatically.
Also, check the device drivers and update them, delete the temp files, scan your system with good antivirus software and remove unwanted software from time to time to maintain the Windows PC performance and other issues.
Additionally, if you find the article helpful or have any query, comment, questions or suggestions related, then please feel free to share it with us in the comment section below or you can also go to our Fix Windows Errors Ask Question Page.