Are you the one looking for the fixes to resolve Windows 10 update error 0x80246002 then here follow the fixes to resolve the Windows error code 0x80246002?
Updating Windows operating system is not an easy task there are many users who are found reporting about the Windows update errors time to time.
Even the latest version of Microsoft OS Windows 10 is not free from errors, there are many users still facing the issue with updating Windows.
The Windows 10 update error 0x80246002 is the one that interrupts the users. When this error appears the users are unable to install the update and as a result start getting the error 0x80246002.
Well, there are many reasons due to which you are getting the error 0x80246002 in Windows 10. So, without wasting time here check out how to fix Windows 10 error 0x80246002. But first, have a look what are the causes of the error.
Cause of Windows Update Error Code 0x80246002
- Due to a corrupted Windows system file
- Misconfigured system files may create registry errors
- Hard disk failure
- Due to a virus or malware in Windows
- Due to an old and outdated driver
Symptoms of Windows Update Error 0x80246002
When the Windows update error 0x80246002 appears the system starts crashing, program lock-ups, PC slow down, system freezes. Despite this, the system restart and the entire active program close automatically.
So, here in this article follow the possible solutions to fix error 0x80246002 in Windows 10.
How to Fix Error 0x80246002 Windows 10
Well, there is no any exact solution that works to fix Windows update error 0x80246002. So, here check out the given fixes to check which one works for you to troubleshoot error 0x80246002.
Solution 1: Run the System File Checker (SFC)
As it is said above the corrupted Windows system files causes the error 0x80246002 windows 10. So, it is suggested to perform an SFC scan.
Follow the given instructions:
- Press Win key + X > choose Command Prompt (Admin).
- And in the Command Prompt > type ‘sfc /scannow’ and hit Enter
- Now wait for the whole scanning process to complete (approx. 15 minutes)
And as the whole process is completed restart your system and checks if the error code 0x80246002 is fixed or not.
Solution 2: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
To fix the Windows update error 0x80246002 try running the Windows Update Troubleshooter. This inbuilt tool is designed to fix various issues related to Windows update.
Follow the steps to do so:
- In the search bar > type troubleshooting and click on Troubleshooting.
- And select View all > then from Troubleshoot computer problems list > choose Windows Update
- Follow the on-screen instruction and allow the Windows Update Troubleshoot
- And restart the PC to save changes.
Now check whether the error 0x80246002 Windows 10 is fixed or not.
Solution 3: Rename SoftwareDistribution Folder
This is a working solution that helped many users to fix the Windows 10 update error 0x80246002. So here follow the steps to do so:
- Press Windows Key + X > select Command Prompt (Admin).
- And type the below-given commands to stop Windows Update Services > hit Enter after each:
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop cryptSvc
- net stop bits
- net stop msiserver
- Now, type the given command to rename SoftwareDistribution Folder > hit Enter after each
- ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
- ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
- Lastly to start Windows Update Services type given command > hit Enter after each:
- net start wuauserv
- net start cryptSvc
- net start bits
- net start msiserver
- Then restart your PC to save changes, and as the PC starts > press Windows Key + I > choose Update & Security.
- Next click Check for updates and make sure to install any pending updates.
- And as the updates are installed restart your PC again.
Hope this works for you to fix error code 0x80246002 in Windows 10.
Solution 4: Update Windows Defender
If the error 0x80246002 still persists then try updating Windows Defender’s definitions from within Windows Defender. Doing this will not need any definition updates for Windows Defender and Windows update will successfully download and install all other updates that another computer requires.
Follow the steps to do so:
- In the Start menu > search for Windows Defender
- And click Windows Defender > launch Windows Defender
Please Note: As the programs start up, you may see that Windows Defender is turned off. So, in this case, Turn on Windows Defender and if in case you encounter an error during trying to turn on Windows Defender > then restart and launch Windows Defender as it boots up and turns it on again. Hope this times it works for you.
- And navigate to Update Option and Update Windows Defender definitions from the Update tab within the program.
- As all available definitions updates have been downloaded and installed > restart computer > get into Windows Update as it boots up > and you will see the system is up to date and you can now successfully download and install entire available updates for your computer.
Solution 5: Manually Update
If none of the above-given solutions works for you then download Windows update manually from here: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/home.aspx
As you go to that page, you will get search option, from here find the preferred update. Then download and install it manually.
Hope the given manual solutions work for you to fix Windows update error 0x80246002 but if not then scan your system with the automatic solution to fix error 0x80246002.
Automatic Solution: Windows Repair Tool
You can make use of the Windows Repair Tool, to fix the Windows update error 0x80246002 and other related errors. This is the best tool that just by scanning once, detect and fix the Windows errors and issues. This is the best tool and designed with the advanced algorithm that scan, detect and fix the error automatically. With this quickly fix corrupted Windows system files, malware/virus, Registry error, PC error, Network error, hard Drive, prevent you from file loss and many others. This not only fixes the error but also optimize the Windows PC/laptop performance.
Hope the given solutions help you to fix Windows 10 update error 0x80246002. Try the solutions given one by one and check which one works for you in Windows 10.
Despite this, you can make use of the automatic Windows Repair Tool, to fix error 0x80246002 Windows 10.
Moreover, also make sure to update the device driver, delete the temporary files, scan your system with a good antivirus program and uninstall the unwanted applications at the regular interval of time to make your system perform better.
Additionally, if you have any queries, suggestions or other fixes than feel free to share with us at the comment section below or you can also go to our Fix Windows Errors Ask Question Page.